Thursday, July 5, 2007

The Good,The Bad,and The Ugly-License to Wed


The Good- you get to enjoy John Krasinski's hotness for 90 minutes

The Bad
- The movie isn't very funny and it has a lot of WTF moments.

The Ugly- Robin Williams is really ugly, I mean annoying.

Now that a few days have passed and I am out of my John Krasinski rose colored glasses, I can blog about what I thought of License to Wed. I'm not ashamed to say that I love cheesy romantic comedy's aka 'romcoms'. If Mandy Moore is in it and it's a chick flick count me in. I even liked Because I Said So! That is why I was so excited when I heard that my TV boyfriend was filming a romantic comedy with Mandy Moore. In this alternate universe where my guilty pleasures roam free could it possibly get any better? There always has to be a draw back though and they came in the form of Robin Williams and the script. Don't get me wrong, I laughed and had a really fun time watching the movie but it's not enough for me to urge you to see it. The sad thing for me was that I never really figured out whey Ben (JK's character) was so in love with Sadie(MM). I just couldn't buy their never dying love, I also didn't like how irrational she was towards him. I watch these movies so I can laugh and be really girlie about perfect couples that don't really exist, not to watch a grown woman nag at her boyfriend, I do that enough for both of us. I really do think Ben was a saint for sticking through as much garbage as he did. I couldn't help but be reminded of how much Jim loves Pam and how great they are together. Ben and Sadie wished they loved each other half as much as the star crossed lovers on John's TV show.
(I didn't photoshop that but I wish I did, it's hilarious)
I have never liked Robin Williams or his style of comedy so I was nervous about him playing the unconventional pastor on LTW. To his credit he wasn't as over the top as he usually is but he wasn't funny either. His character was just so creepy and cringe inducing that I thanked my lucky stars that there was two other leads in the movie.
Onto the good? Most of the laughs came from John Krasinski's perfect comedic timing and the rest of The Office crew that made cameo appearances. Seriously, I was laughing so loud that I thought that any of the other 20 people in the theater were going to throw trash at me (yeah it was pretty empty) I also have a tendency to laugh really loud anyway so my laughter might not be a fair assessment to the comedy.
The scene stealer by far was Brian Baumgardner aka Kevin from The Office. Every scene that he was in was hilarious and perfect. There was also other short cameos from Mindy Kaling and Angela Kinsey; other than making me laugh these appearances really made me want to watch new episodes of The Office. There was also some really funny moments with the hideous robot babies that I'm sure everyone has seen in a promo or two. If you asked me whether you should spend ten bucks of your hard earned money to see LTW or wait for rental I would say- It depends. If you are a full fledged Hussy and want to see John Krasinski on a movie screen in all of his lanky glory, then pay 10 bucks and enjoy yourself. If you are selective about what movies you will shell out money for, then wait for rental. That was a little harsh but true. I don't think this will tarnish John's career or reputation at all. If anything this movie shows how funny he can be with the material that he is given. I also think it helps that his next movie coming out stars George Clooney and not Tom Green or any other has- been comedian. Let's face it no one stood a chance against the monster that is Transformers.

Here is a picture of John Krasinski and Angela Kinsey being cute and friendly at the License to Wed premiere in Los Angeles.

One of the best parts of the movie, the blooper reel ( a shortened version anyway)

No comments: